Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Top 5 NES Video Games

5: Metroid - Awesome world of mazes and power-ups.  Allowed players (we weren't "gamers" back then) to move vertically as well as horizontally, opening new worlds of possibilities.  The protagonists for similar types of games (Castlevania and Kid Icarus, for example) didn't flow nearly as well as the sleek Samus did.

4: Contra - Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start.  'Nuff said.

3: The Legend of Zelda - Revolutionary.  This games changed everything.  It was an epic quest through a large and varied world with tons of monsters/villains, opportunities to buy various items, and most importantly, the ability to save your place without the need for a code.  I fired up the old Nintendo and beat this game again last year.  Yeah, that's sad.  I also did the same with the next two.

2: Baseball Stars - Did for sports games what Zelda did for action/adventure games, and more.  You had the ability to customize your team, including picking stronger or weaker hitters.  You could customize your league, choosing better or worse teams.  It kept track of stats and had leader boards in a variety of statistical categories (awesome for a dork like me).  Based on your cash (the amount of which depended upon the strength of the team you faced, your own team's charisma, and whether you won or lost), you could buy free agents (rookies, vets, or stars) or power up your own players (each to his (or her!) own physical ability limits).  Finally, it allowed you to save your season without a code.  This game was special.  Last year I created a team and played an undefeated season against the strongest teams the game could offer--without cheating.  That was fun.

1: Final Fantasy - I remember being in my room with Jimmy (my brother), Chris P. (my cousin), Kevin and Rob (my friends) and maybe some others, playing this game--the first great RPG video game.  Everyone had a duty--one guy knew the strengths and weaknesses of the creatures we encountered; another guy ran the map and directed us; a third guy determined what spells to use and when; etc.  That was fun.  I beat Final Fantasy again last year. 

Ah, nostalgia.  I promise to get onto current topics at some point soon...  Tell me how stupid I am for leaving out Punch Out, Super Mario Bros. III, or whatever, or how pathetic I am to validate my self-worth by bragging about beating decades-old video games in my lame blog by posting a comment below!

9 comments:

  1. I only played sports games...

    Blades of Steel - Didn't we all just play that game to try and get in fights?

    I agree Baseball Stars was a better overall game, but RBI Baseball was the best game to play with friends.

    The greatest game ever? Tecmo Bowl - 2 words - BO JACKSON

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baseball Stars, Zelda, and Final Fantasy are absolutely the top three in some order. SMB3 is on the list somewhere, but those are the three I /had/ to find somewhere when we finally picked up a vintage NES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, no Tecmo Bowl or Super Tecmo bowl made the Top 5? They would have made my Top 5...

    I will have to think about the ranking and repost my Top 5

    -Vunk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I refuse to acknowledge any list that doesn't have punchout. Definately should have mario 3 on the list as well. (i know you anticipated the backlash but i have to say it) Contra was overated(yeah, i said it) i would have zelda #1 but's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blades of Steel just for the fights? Yes.

    RBI Baseball was the first baseball game I ever had for Nintendo, and it holds a special place in my heart, but doesn't compare.

    Was never a huge fan of Tecmo Bowl--sorry guys! But I will do a future post about the top Genesis games, and most of the ones on my list are sports themed.

    SMB3 might be better than Contra, but not more fun.

    Jamie, I'm sorry you don't acknowledge my list. :) I too enjoyed Punch Out, and it might be #7 for me, but not top 5.

    And before someone says it, yeah, Tetris quite possibly should be up here. Oversight on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good choices (I wandered over from the comment you posted on my old blog). I've since switched to a full blown NES site and did a top 10 games of my own a few months back:

    http://www.nes-bit.com/?p=3294

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Mario Brothers 3 I think is the best Nintendo game of the period and still maybe the most fun ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super Tecmo Bowl should be on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Have you never heard of a little game known as Battletoads

    ReplyDelete