Friday, September 9, 2011

Top 5 Worst Current TV Commercials

We all hate commercials, right?  Sometimes I see one so bad, it makes me angry that someone was paid to create it.  Here's my top 5 worst commercials for now.

5: Uncle Majic the Hip Hop Magician - Just look at this.  This is real.  Okay, this one doesn't make me angry, but it makes me wonder how he can afford to keep making commercials.  Who is watching this and thinking, "oh yeah, I'll pay him to come to my house."

4: ITT Tech - The ones that follow some guy who had no friends or future until he got an ITT Tech "degree" and is now successful and respected.  The same commercial includes a disclaimer that ITT Tech credits will not transfer.  An Associate's Degree from ITT Tech costs between $45,000 and $70,000, but barely increases job potential (especially in this college grad-saturated market), meaning ITT Tech grads will never get out from underneath their student loans.  About 80,000 people a year attend ITT Tech.  They've found half a dozen moderately successful grads to feature in commercials.  Sad.

3:  Skittles - That weird one with the Skittles tree growing out of the kid's stomach.  It's implied the kid is kept alive as a Skittles farm--he's given just enough food to live and keep growing Skittles.  The kid is miserable, near death, and has a tree growing from his stomach... mmm, appetizing!  Do the ad execs even realize they are selling a food product?  Plus, the spot implies Skittles are part fruit and part human.  Umm, gross.  There is nothing redeeming about this stupid commercial.

2: Charmin - Charmin has a message for us: bears shit in the woods; inferior toilet paper sticks to their hairy, shit-covered asses; and luckily, Charmin is strong enough to wipe bear shit off a bear ass without shredding or leaving cling-ons (baktag, not these guys) [you're welcome, nerds].  This is an example, but you've seen multiple variations on this theme.

1: Bucky Larson -  Because of this (and every other) Bucky Larson commercial, I don't want to see this movie, which is probably for the best.


I also hate every commercial with volume cranked to a higher level than the program.  On December 15, 2011, the CALM  (Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation) Act goes into effect and will require commercials to be no louder than the underlying show.  Until then, what commercials piss you off?

4 comments:

  1. I hate all the beer commercials that make men look like bumbling idiots. Example. They should go for the sentimental guilt trip that Budweiser uses, like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious Dave. This might be your best one yet. And yes, the Bucky Lawson commercials pisse me off, every time I see them. Is there anyway that this won't be the worst movie ever made. It looks terrible.

    The other commercials that aggrivate me to no end (luckily, haven't seen one in a while, maybe they finally stopped running them) were those anti-cigarette commercials for The Truth. These annoyed me so much, that I actually wanted tobacco companies to be successfull just to spite these losers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, any "good old Tom" or similar pawn shop commercials. These are beyond bad.

    "yeah, if I give my left over jewelry to some sketchy old guy, I'm going to be a millionnaire"

    ReplyDelete
  4. gush01 - mystuff.tkDecember 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

    I hate any commercial by state farm or free credit report, all those tech school ads are also freakin annoying.

    ReplyDelete