Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Top 5 Tastiest Non-Sweet Breakfast Cereals

I love cereal.  I used to have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as a kid, and occasionally still do.  I like sweet cereals, but there are some non-sweet cereals that I couldn't do without.  Those are listed below.

5: Crispix (Kellogg's) - It has a rice side and a corn side!  I don't know why that matters, since they taste the same, but it makes them cooler than rival Chex (did you know Crispix was invented about 30 years ago to compete against Chex?), so it makes the list by a slight margin.

4: Kix (General Mills) - Some would argue that this should count as a sweet cereal, but no, it isn't.  This processed, puffed corn is "kid tested, mother approved."  Of course, if you do some Google searching, you'll find plenty of mothers bitching that they don't approve of the salt content, some chemicals, that Kix are a choking hazard, or that it contains too much sugar (it doesn't).  Those moms are nuts.  Kix are Kooz tested and approved.

3: Puffed Rice (Quaker) - This not only tastes amazing, but it's so light, it's almost non-existent.  Lest that read as criticism, allow me to disabuse you of the notion.  Puffed Rice is the only cereal on this list that an average person can eat an entire box of in one sitting, making it well worthy of the number 3 spot.

2: Rice Krispies (Kellogg's) - It talks to you!  Was there anything cooler as a kid?  Well, yeah. lots of stuff.  Even in the cereal arena there was plenty cooler.  But of the unsweetened cereals forced upon you as a toddler by sugar-wary mothers, this was, I guess, the coolest.  When it comes down to it, it's a really tasty cereal, even when it gets water-logged with milk.  Not to mention, it tastes great when mixed with melted marshmallow and cut into bars!

1: Cheerios (General Mills) - Cheerios is one of the first solid foods that you eat as an American kid, and it stays with you your whole life.  It's no wonder they are the number one selling cereal in the States.  I remember my Aunt Joan putting Cheerios into a frying pan with butter and serving them to me and my brother and cousins during sleepovers.  No idea why she thought that was a good idea--her furniture must have been covered in butter grease the following morning--but we loved it, so it was all good.

Argue it if you want to, but corn flakes by any name are gross, and that's that.  Apologies to my dad for not including Post Raisin Bran--yeah dad, I know that Kellogg's is the one that used to coat its raisins with sugar, but Post is clean and should be on the list.  Nope--if it's got fruit in it, it's a sweet cereal.  Comments below, share via Facebook or Twitter, or follow the blog--thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I really want to take the puffed rice challenge now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found Cheerios repulsive, and they have this horrible smell. Ok, I'm a freak, but I'd put Cracklin Oat Brand on the list before Cheerios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand how this can even be a list. Perhaps you can also do a top 5 serious comedies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puffed Rice?!?!?!?... Really old man??? Let me guess...you couldn't find a picture of GrapeNuts and Quaker Oats is disqualified because it comes in a can? Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracklin' Oat Bran.

    ReplyDelete