Friday, November 25, 2011

Top 5 Best Orange Sodas

Orange soda is awesome.  Every once-in-a-while I forget how good it is, then I taste some and it all comes rushing back to me.  Here are the top 5 best.

5: Jarritos Mandarin - I am told this is a huge Mexican brand.  I'm sure it's available all over the place, but the only place I've tried it is in Grand Central Station at the Jamaican Beef Patty stand on the lower level.  It's pretty good, and I can say this much--it goes great with a spicy Jamaican beef patty!

4: Sunkist - The people who bring you oranges and orange juice also bring you a pretty good orange soda.  It doesn't rate higher because it tastes too much like oranges.  Yes, I know how stupid that sounds.

3: Fanta Orange - Mmm,  Fantanas...  I mean, Fanta...  Fanta is a good orange soda.  It's got that yummy artificial orange taste, without that "real" orange flavor.  It's not as creamy as I'd prefer, and is a little too carbonated, but that's just picking nits--it's a good soda.

2: Stewart's Orange 'N Cream - This could be a little more carbonated, but flavor-wise, it's spot-on.  It's orangey and creamy.  It's got a great aftertaste that leaves you quenched (most sodas leave you thirstier) and makes you want more.  It's just too damn expensive.

1: Crush Orange - I just had a bottle of this, and was shocked at how good it is!  Everything I said about Stewart's above is true here, except the carbonation is perfect and the cost is right.  Drinking this bottle made we want to write this post, that's how good it is.  I don't know why it's creamy, since I don't think it's supposed to be, but I'm glad it is.  Just amazing.

I know a lot of you don't drink soda, and I understand that.  It is not good for you and brings nothing to the table but taste.  If you're one of those people, I'd suggest you try orange soda every time you find yourself at a kid's birthday party (for some reason, they always have orange soda at kids' parties).  Thoughts?  Comments?  Add them below, and share via your preferred social media outlet.

19 comments:

  1. Mmmm...Orange soda is great. Have you tried the Henry Weinhard's Orange Cream? It's great, a little pricey at around a buck a bottle. $5.99 a six-pack; but, as you stated, soda isn't the best for you (about the same sugar as a candy bar), so paying a buck for something as enjoyable as this soda isn't a bad deal, so long as you don't plan on drinking them...well, like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never even heard of Henry Weinhard's.  Where is it available?  I'd love to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry Weinhard's is originally a microbrew (the original microbrew, BTW) from the great state of Oregon. You can get Henry's here in Portland. They make a very fine root beer. Also, try the 7-11 brand of orange soda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in NYC, so that's a bit of a haul.  But I have people in Oregon, so maybe I can convince one to bring some to me next time I see them in Indianapolis...  Long story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a lame review.  Go try Nesbitt's, Manhattan Special, Sun Crest, and Faygo orange sodas...... and then tell me which one is the best.  Whoever did this review picked the most generic sodas. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nesbitt's is okay, but didn't crack the top 5.  Faygo is actually pretty bad--I figured they stayed in business due solely to sales at ICP concerts.  Never had Manhattan Special.  I think I had Sun Crest, but it would have been a little while back and obviously made no impression on me.  
    Thanks for the comments.  Sorry you think the list is lame, but generic, commercial, widely-available, or whatever, Orange Crush is the best orange soda I've ever had.  Sometimes things are popular for a reason.  Would you leave Coke off a top cola list simply because it's popular?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunkist defiantly out beats Fanta. Fanta's taste is to "diet-like." But I agree that Crush is number 1. Good review. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Hope you get to check out some of our other reviews... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to try Captain Eli orange, Route 66 orange, and Frostie orange. You would most definitely need to try Baumeister orange, because this is the original orange Crush recipe. I've tried it, and I can say that it is waaaay better than orange Crush. And, I would only leave Coke off a top cola list if it did not did not live up to the rest of the competition (which it does not). In fact the best colas are Fentimans Curiosity cola, Red Rock Cola, Virgil's real cola, Thumbs Up cola, Sprecher Cola, and Foxon Park Cola. I've tried these plus more, so I can safely say that Coke would not make a "top cola list". The only reason why orange Crush is popular is because the company knows how to market well and take down little businesses. In fact, they even tried to buy back the rights to the original Crush formula from Baumeister, but Baumeister said heck no - so orange Crush went off to make the most orange tasting soda they could which in the process they made the soda taste not the same, making it unfaithful to the original. So screw orange Crush. The only orange Crush I'll ever drink is the orange Crush bottled by Dr Pepper West Jefferson, NC because they use glass bottles and cane sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Henry Weinhards is very mass produced. If you go into your local Kroger, or just about any supermarket they should have it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've looked for it and haven't been able to find it. I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried most of the colas. I also haven't tried the first few orange sodas you list here. Of the ones I've had, I'll stick with Crush. If I tasted better, it would have beat it on the list. It isn't ideological, it's based on what I taste from what I've tasted. You seem like more of a connoisseur--if you want to write a top 5 best orange sodas follow-up, or a top 5 colas, email me at KoozTop5@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps I will do a top 5 cola review for you when I get a chance. I'll have to go pick some up in Los Angeles - where all the extremely rare soda is. Thanks for the opportunity and the offer. Maybe I'll do it within the next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would be great! When you're ready, just email me at kooztop5(at)gmail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crush and coke are both my favs I would add that they taste the best from a bottle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely from a bottle--cans don't cut it, and from a cup just isn't the same (because you always add ice, and that messes everything up!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. whats the one with pulp in it? I used to like that one

    ReplyDelete