Saturday, November 26, 2011

Top 5 Fake Bands from Movies and Television

Guest Blogger John Majneber offers up today's Top 5...

This is a list of my top 5 favorite "fake" bands.  After thinking long and hard I decided I could not include The Monkees or Spinal Tap because they went on to have actual music careers.  This is what remains:

5: The Beets, (Nickelodeon's Doug) - I grew up watching Doug and remember really loving the songs by The Beets.  "Banging on a Trash Can" was my favorite, but couldn't find a video to link to.

4: The Rutles, (Rutland Weekend Television / Saturday Night Live) - A British Beatles parody band with Monty Python's Eric Idle.  Funny (but not quite Weird Al funny).

3: Stillwater, (Almost Famous) - A great movie with great music.  I still occasionally listen to "Fever Dog" from the Almost Famous soundtrack--it still rocks!

2: The Wonders (Oneders), (That Thing You Do) - The Wonders sing "That Thing You Do," which is easily the catchiest song on this list.  It will be stuck in your head for the rest of the week.

1: Drive Shaft, (Lost) - Lost holds a special place in my heart.  "(You All) Everybody" brings me back to the glory days when I anxiously awaited new Lost episodes which would raise far more questions than they would ever answer. 

Does anyone have any other Bands that I missed?  I'd love to check out some other fictional bands.  Let me know in the comments below.  And, as always, please email, share, or tweet this post to your friends!

8 comments:

  1. Nice list, but what--no Hannah Montana?

    ReplyDelete
  2. she would never make the cut but I'm honestly regretting not including DJay from Hustle & Flow with hits like "Whoop That Trick" and "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp".

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the intro he says he doesn't include Spinal Tap because they went on to have an actual musical career...  Agree about the Lone Rangers though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eddie and the Cruisers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about the blues brothers or the fresh prince (of belair)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Commitments, from The Commitments (1991). Awesome "Mustang Sally."


    -Jim in LA

    ReplyDelete