Saturday, November 19, 2011

Top 5 Interesting State Nicknames

Some states have really strange, weird, or funny official nicknames.  Here are the most interesting ones.

5: The Natural State (Arkansas) - Because people hate all those artificial states where you don't find my people responding to "uncle daddy," Arkansas adopted this name to set themselves apart.  The fine states of Plastic-vania and New Polyester have yet to weigh-in on the nickname.

4: The Land of Enchantment (New Mexico) - Brought to you by peyote.

3: The Sooner State (Oklahoma) - The "later" state didn't really work.  Seriously, this refers to people who settled in "Indian" lands in advance of the Indian Appropriations Act in 1889--because there's some history worth celebrating!

2: The Show Me State (Missouri) - This should have been reserved for Louisiana.  If there was ever a place that screamed "show me," it's New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

1: The Beaver State (Oregon) - The best state to pick up girls?  Shane?  Dennis?  Can someone confirm this?

There are a lot of unofficial nicknames too, and some of those are pretty ridiculous.  What state are you from and what's your favorite nickname for your state?  Share below...

(...and see the Top 5 Embarrassing Pennsylvania Town Names here.)

5 comments:

  1. Oregon is def the best state for beaver. I am trying to have it changed to the Bieber State. So talented, that young man is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!  I called my father "uncle daddy" as a kid to get his goat.  (I must be in an artificial state!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bieber!  You won't be so psyched when he knocks up your daughter...  Robin, you are in as artificial a state as I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know.  I picked mine up in Ohio...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the Buckeye State...  I don't know how to make that funny.

    ReplyDelete