Thursday, December 1, 2011

Top 5 Funniest "Swingers" Quotes

Swingers (1996) is one of the best movies ever.  I just rewatched this and am flooded with so many great college memories.  In addition to being influential on my formative years, the movie also gave rise to the careers of Vince Vaughn and Ron Livingston and gave Jon Favreau his first writing credit, so there's that...  It was really, really funny too--here's the proof.

5: Trent: I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen.  I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet.  You're not sure where he's coming from.  

4: Mike: ...I spend half the night talking to some girl who's looking around the room to see if there's somebody else who's more important she should be talking to, and it's like I'm supposed to be all happy 'cause she's wearing a backpack, you know?

3: Mike: (After Sue pulls a gun on some guys) What the fuck!  Didn’t you seen Boyz N The Hood?  Now one of us is going to get shot.

2: Mike: What the fuck are you carrying a gun for?  What, in case somebody steps to you, Snoop Dogg?
Sue: Hey man, you're not from here, alright.  You don't know how it is. I grew up in L.A.
Trent: Anaheim.
Sue: Whatever, man.

1: The best scene is right after Mike gets a girl's number in a bar.  When he gets home, despite the advice of his friends to wait several days before calling, he calls her and gets her machine.  The transcript is too long to post, but I promise you will laugh out loud if you watch the scene.

There are funnier movies, but none capture the essence of being a twenty-something single guy picking up girls in bars, and playing video games while drinking and ordering take-out.  Maybe the best scene in the movie comes right at the end when Mike's ex calls him.  No spoilers here, so just watch the movie--but it pulls it all together perfectly.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the guy behind the guy and the "all growns up" scenes are my favorite. I love me some Vince Vaughn

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang on voltaire...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like a Vegas waitress is going to get an obscure French philosophical reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i spit out my drink reading #2 i can't believe I haven't heard of this movie and I'm always looking for new stuff to watch hopefully its on netflix

    ReplyDelete