Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Top 5 Weirdest Creatures I've Eaten

I didn't eat mushrooms until a decade ago, fish until 5 years ago, and I still don't eat pork (it's not religious, I just don't eat it--I'm working on it...).  My weird food phobias are even stranger in light of my willingness to eat some other strange foods.  Here's the top 5 most unusual creatures I've eaten.

5: Buffalo - This isn't so bizarre these days, but it's still not terribly common.  Tastes like beef, only leaner and with a slight sweetness to it.  I had it in burger form, and it was one of the best burgers I've had.

4: Frog - Frog legs, to be precise.  Kermit tastes, well, greasy and slimy.  Plus, the frog that donated his legs was big, but there was still almost no meat on the bones.  I would not eat these again, and am feeling slightly ill from the memory.

3: Alligator - I've eaten alligator on several occasions, and I've yet to enjoy it.  It tastes like greasy chicken.  Really, that's it.  It's slightly rubbery, very greasy, and quite chicken-y.

2: Ostrich - I dunno, it's just poultry.  But I guess it's weird to eat it in the U.S.

1: Whale - I legally ate a whale steak in Reykjavik, Iceland.  A few observations: first, despite what you'd think because of the blubber, my whale steak was very dry; second, it was somewhat tough which, when combined with the dryness, leads me to believe my whale was overcooked; third, I felt pretty bad about eating whale some time after I ate it.  Whales are pretty intelligent and the concept of eating an intelligent creature eventually came to bother me.  Yeah, I know...

So... have you eaten anything bizarre, strange, or unusual (and not just Taco Bell or other fast food joints, including the McDonald's secret menu)?  Share your stories below.  And please, if you enjoyed this post, share it on Facebook!

11 comments:

  1. Seems quite cool.
    FML, I am a wasted vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. buffalo and frog are real common but for my shake you have eaten a whale and ostrich ..thats sound real cool ..and for my list I am a vegan...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had bear before. It was really, really gristly. I've also had pronghorn. It was like eating dry, sagebrush flavored meat. I wasn't impressed by either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shark, Goat, Eel, Cow tongue,  and I once swallowed a penny when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the fact that I was a vegetarian for many years, and even now I only infrequently eat a limited selection of meat, I too have eaten some strange things in my lifetime.  Kangaroo and aligator are the two craziest I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you sure the bear wasn't really, really Grizzly? Sorry, couldn't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm Greek, so this list is like a slow afternoon for me.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing up in Germany, I have eaten rabbit and brain. I don't cook, and I was young, but I am sure it was the brain of a pig, which actually does not taste bad - it is soft, kind of mushy - lightly battered in flour and then "backed" in a frying pan. However, now being older and wiser, I don't think I could get myself to eat it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...I forgot rattlesnake! 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the responses here--you guys have eaten some crazy stuff!  Kangaroo, brain, shark, pronghorn--that's really something!  Thanks for sharing! 

    ReplyDelete