Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top 5 Favorite Kid Shows Growing Up

I've gone through other kid's shows, but these are what I grew up with in the late 70s, early 80s.  These were my favorites as a very young kid.

5: Romper Room - Seriously, all I remember about this show is that the host had a hand-held "magic mirror" which she gazed into at the end of each episode where she "saw" all the viewers and thanked them by name.  I always awaited my name (in vain, despite it being a very common name), which was enough to make me tune-in daily.

4: Mister Roger's Neighborhood - This was great because Fred Rogers was an amazing guy.  Not only that, but he always came in and left on his uncomfortable clothes but changed into more comfortable shoes.  He also had a toy train in his living room, and that's dope.

3: Sesame Street - The top 5 Sesame Street characters was covered earlier, but in addition to the characters, the way Sesame Street approached education is what made the show great.  It was all about teaching through examples you could find in the real world--ten apples in the bag at the supermarket or whatever.  To this day, I credit Sesame Street with my ability to count to 20 (and my deficiency at higher numbers).

2: 3-2-1 Contact - Still one of the best science/critical thinking shows ever produced, and it also included the Bloodhound Gang segment.  Simply amazing.

1: Reading Rainbow - LeVar Burton, pre-Geordi La Forge, told children to go to the library and read certain books, but he didn't make you take his word for it--he had other children sell you on what was great about the stories.  This show also had the coolest kids' theme-song of all time.

I'm about to commit a cardinal Kooz Top 5 sin.  Way back in my first post, I said that I wouldn't give more than 5 answers to the top 5--no ties, no tier 2, nothing "also considered."  But I need to give two shout-outs.  First, Captain Kangaroo deserves a mention--it wasn't my favorite show, but he's in the pantheon with Fred Rogers and Mr. Hooper.  Also on the same level is Mr. Wizard, whose various shows I caught only sporadically, but still had an impact on my life.  Anyway, share this post via Facebook and Twitter, and share your thoughts on these and other shows in the comments below!

16 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I loved the Great Space Coaster. Get on board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damnit Kooz!  Now I'm going to have the Reading Rainbow theme song stuck in my head!  Oh and what about Fraggle Rock and Inspector Gadget?  I think those could bump #2 and 5 although you do seem to be a "science guy" so there's probably no convincing you to drop 3-2-1 contact is there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, fond memories! Loved Reading Rainbow and 321 Contact. Glad for the shoutout to Mr. Wizard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humm...theme songs running through my head..."3, 2, 1, Contact, is the reason, for what ever you do, it's contact!" I would have opted for Captain Kangaroo over romper room, I never really watched romper room much.  That, and the fact that my dad clearly remembers watching Mr. Green Jeans on T.V. in the waiting room when I was born :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated Reading Rainbow. Anyone remember The Great Spacecoaster? I also loved Captain Kangaroo. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. No "Electric Company?!" My God, man, it had Morgan Freeman as "Easy Reader" and Spider Man teaching spelling.

    Though the Bloodhound Gang was dope indeed. Even got a nineties indie band named after it. I'll see your "dope" and raise you a "fresh."


    - Jim in LA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved 3-2-1 Contact. My mother forbade me from ever watching Romper Room (even though I always wanted to see it!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hells yes to all! But you think it's tough hearing the name "Dave" on Romper Room? Try being named "Mariah." Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fraggle Rock was pretty great.  I watched Inspector Gadget, but wasn't a huge fan.  Yeah, that Reading Rainbow theme song is the best, and yeah, I'm a "science guy," but 3-2-1 Contact was much more than just a science show--no way I can drop it...  :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Wizard rocked!  Too bad I only caught the tail-end of his career (and was just this side of too old for Bill Nye's heyday).

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Captain may objectively deserve a place on this list ahead of Romper Room.  I personally didn't watch it as much, but there seem to be a lot of fans out there...

    ReplyDelete
  12. All illiterate children hated Reading Rainbow.  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Electric Company was a round when I was a kid, but was geared for the generation right before me, and by the time I was old enough for it, it was on its last legs...  The *new* Electric Company is pretty cool though...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You didn't miss much--seriously, all I can remember is the magic mirror bit, which was only a few minutes at the end of the show.  It totally made it for me, but if I hadn't done a little research before writing this, I wouldn't have recalled what the rest of the show was about (it was a generic educational kids' show).

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...and I'm sure our President and two GOP candidates never got shout-outs either--imagine waiting for Barak, Newt, or Mitt!  (Of course, Newt was like 70 when this originally aired, so he probably wasn't watching...) 

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You're amazing! Thanks!
    Rule iL200P Marine 200 GPH Inline Submersible Pump (12-Volt)

    ReplyDelete