Monday, January 23, 2012

Top 5 Nerd Credentials

I watch and played football and baseball, I was president of my fraternity, and I went to PCB for Spring Break a few times. I am, however, a double-agent. I lead a not-so-secret life as a nerd (as though any regular reader of the blog couldn't tell). Here are my top 5 nerd credentials... (Note, these are nerd, not geek, creds... Geek creds will come later.)

5: I've been to a Renaissance fair (and called it a "ren fair").

4: I watched anime when it was called "Japanimation."

3: I have seen every episode of Babylon 5, Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (the original and reboot), Robotech (and Macross), and the current Doctor Who series, to name a few.

2: I still own action figures, and I keep them mint in box.

1: I played Dungeons & Dragons before the sets came with a game board and game pieces, and I mourned the passing of Gary Gygax.

Think you can top that?  Try it in the comments below.

9 comments:

  1. Having suffered through most of those shows with my husband, and purchased some MIB figures for him, I am certainly a nerd by default. The fact that I would probably like to attend a renaissance fair (although I refuse to call it a ren fair) and Comic Con makes me a nerd for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would like to hear your opinion on "nerd" vs. "geek" :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3.  Amateur. I watch Monday Night Raw every week, and go three times a year. I've been to Wrestlemania, as an adult, twice. I own a replica championship belt. I annually go to comic book conventions, and still buy comics every week. I have 4 Thor t shirts that I don't hesitate to wear in public. I've been playing fantasy football for a decade, three teams each year. I own and watch Fraggle Rock DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do I go to Ren Faires, I make period costumes to wear at Ren Faires. And I remember when it was Japanimation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been to a Medieval fair here in Belgium. I think that counts. Since you know, renaissance came later.
    And the medieval times are more interesting than the renaissance anyway. :P No one can beat dragons bro.
    Anyway, your blog seems fun, so I will follow you now! :)

    --
    Hello~
    www.TiesOfAffection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is my opinion on nerd vs. geek: 
    http://kooztop5.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-5-geek-credentials.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have you all topped. I go to Cave comics almost every week, I recently was engaged in a conversation about whether Bruce Wayne cares about Selina Kyle, I was the 2nd person in line at Loews when Episode 1 came out after camping out for 3 days, my entire "non-work wardrobe" is based around superhero t-shirts... shall I go on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yua  Yeah, Medieval fair certainly counts--as do dragons, so I count at least 2 nerdy things.  Awesome!
    Penny Higgins You rock for many, many reasons, not the least of which is your being a geologist/scientist...
    @525fd6b66d74ddb480b26ccab4fb62aa Agree completely about the wrestling and Fraggle Rock.  Not sure whether fantasy football is cool or nerdy, but I do it too, so I am leaning towards nerdy...
    @95154f3e017fad5ccf0d1ef05e61fe00 Sorry!

    ReplyDelete