Monday, February 20, 2012

Top 5 Reasons Roto-Rooter Sucks

I've been having a weird thing happen with my toilets--one won't flush and another flushes on its own every few hours.  I haven't been able to figure it out (which isn't shocking, since I have no plumber training), so I called Roto-Rooter.  It seemed like a normal thing to do.  They promised to arrive Sunday (yesterday) between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.  ...and here's why they suck:


5: There is no need to call me at noon to tell me my plumber is running late but will still be on time for me.  That means he isn't running late.  I can't read anyone's mind, and had no idea his earlier job is taking longer than expected.  You gave me a window--if he shows up in the window, he's on time. 

4: Speaking of windows, they are supposed to take "unanticipated" delays into account.  That's the point.  If there were never delays, you could give an exact time, but since things get delayed in the plumbing game, you give a window to allow a cushion for these unanticipated delays.  You anticipate them.  A window is pointless if you don't arrive within it, and a call to advise you'll be late is pointless if the call comes outside the window.

3: Calling to tell me the plumber will be on time is pointless.  Calling back to say he'll be late after he's already late is just bad form.  Calling back again to advise he'll be at least an additional two hours late is just unacceptable.  I had plans, I had to change the plans, and eventually I had to cancel the plans.  Thanks Roto-Rooter.

2: When I have a coupon for 10% off, and you offer to give me 10% off for my trouble after I complain about the delay, you aren't offering me anything.  When you call back to announce further delays, and you offer me the same 10% discount that you were "noting in my account," it's insulting.

1: Speaking of pricing, I have a friend who's a very good (and high-end) plumber.  I had a clogged drain a while back and asked him if he'd recommend someone in the area (he's an hour away and it seemed silly to ask him to drive down to help).  He recommended Roto-Rooter since it was a simple problem that any plumber could resolve, and I shouldn't pay a plumber's full rates to handle it.  After I told him what Roto-Rooter was charging, he said he needed to raise his rates.  And he's a high-end plumber!

Roto-Rooter, I would only call you for simple jobs.  Since you can't even be bothered to show up for those, I'm calling a FAIL.  You'll never see business from me again.

Ever have a lousy experience with Roto-Rooter, or anything like this (come on Cablevision customers, step up)?  Share your experiences below, and don't forget to "like" our page on Facebook!

3 comments:

  1. Had a similar experience with Sears appliance repair. Missed their appointment completely and then made zero concessions in terms of guaranteeing the first appointment of the day on the re-schedule.

    After all that, they missed the second one too! They suck. Their customer service sucks. I hope posts like this have an impact on these businesses' bottom lines and they actually do something to improve the experience.

    But I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. google "kristian Pedersen roto rooter"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's crazy!  One more reason Roto-Rooter sucks!

    ReplyDelete