Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top 5 Reasons Why Kooz is an Amazing Beer Pong Player

Guest blogger Christie brings you today's top 5:

Ahh beer pong. The game we all trained to play as kids by trying to win the goldfish in the fish bowls at the carnival. Well, due to a side-bet made at a beer pong table over this past weekend, today’s Top 5 will be a little different than usual. If you haven’t guessed by now, I was the loser of this bet and therefore must now grace you good readers with the wonders of Kooz and his amazing beer pong abilities.

So here it is, my Top 5 Reasons why Kooz is an Amazing Beer Pong Player… 

5. Height advantage. It is my personal opinion that anyone taller than me has a better view of the cups. Since I’m only 4’11”, this pretty much includes the general public. However, our Mr. Kooz is about 6’2”, so he can take stock of the proper angles and get the better approach for the dunking of the ball into the golden liquid within the cups.

4. Hat Trick. It’s one thing to get three balls in the cup in a row, but to actually have a hat on that you can throw on the table and declare the “hat trick” was just perfect psych-out strategy! The other team was flummoxed (how often do you get to use that word?) and because they were, Kooz then was able to keep the streak going by getting another shot in. Hats off!

3. Arm Length. While this could easily be put under the height advantage section, I chose to put it separately because height is vertical while arm length for beer pong goes to the horizontal. Being a tall guy, Kooz happens to have longer arms. So while he was playing with his back (literally at times) up against the wall, his arm still made it further over the table than some others. The throw always comes down to the angles and his were just sharper and more on point.

2. Learning from Others. After playing for hours, Kooz was still able to watch others playing against him and picked up on a new technique that he incorporated into his winning ways. It was during the round he played against myself, and my partner (hi Emily!) had a great way of throwing…she went at an extreme angle and had a hell of a shot. He kept commenting on it and then in later rounds, started using this himself. So just because he had already won round after round using his own methods, he was not above learning new ways to play.

1. Kooz Blows Well. I believe at the next party, shirts should be made with this phrase! For you see, gentle readers, no matter how his opponents got the balls in the cups, Kooz was able to blow them back out with one solid, short breath. They could be spinning and hovering over the beer, they could’ve been slammed directly in, or even sitting in the beer for a second or two, Kooz was able to blow those bad boys right on out! It was amazing and yet quite infuriating to those who played against him. Well done!!

So there you have it. I have to say, while I was really ticked off that I lost not only the game but also the bet, it was still a lot of fun and I feel that I have now begun my new career into writing for the NBPL! (Be sure to go to this page: Official Rules 5-h is a favorite…the ‘dipshit’ rule.) Thank you for putting up with this Top 5. Hopefully, if there is a next time, I won’t be the one writing it. CHEERS!!!  ...and you know the drill...

19 comments:

  1. Wow, to see it live really makes me wish I had won this bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Dave I hate you .... I was one of the teams that lost because of your "blowing"

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does have amazing blowing ability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blowing..... ? C'mon Dave. You know better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jameskozlowski97May 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

    Pathetic

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a skill, to be cultivated like any other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hold the house record.  I have no complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do want to clarify one thing about blowing--it's only allowed for a ball that is spinning around inside the cup.  If it goes directly in, blowing isn't allowed and is (in my house) a 1 cup penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to state that I am proud to be a witness to his "formative" years in beer pong.  The pong room at the staff house is a cherished memory I will never, ever forget. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great ha! I challenge you Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  11.  Guy's don't blow. That's the house rule any pong game I've ever played at. Sorry Dave, but that's incredibly lame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never played.  Never even witnessed someone playing.  But then again, I wasn't in a fraternity.  

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have played in more than 10 states, and dozens of schools, plenty of bars, 4 different school offices (including one law school), and maybe 50 or more different houses.  I've come across more variations of the rules than most people.  Trust me, blowing is a well established rule in any game where people are taking it seriously.  Which in an of itself may be sad, but it is what it is.  

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agreed.  Completely.  I lived above the pong room too, so if there was pong being played, I was awake--and rather than be in bed, I'd be down in the room.  I got a lot of practice in those days.  If I remember right, you had more than your fair share of games too.  I still have the stats, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bring it!  Pong will be set up at my chili fest this summer.  Come and take a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It wasn't the fraternity thing, it was just not popular when you were an undergrad.  Wasn't when I was either--it really got big the year I graduated--most of my playing came post-degree.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wasn't in a frat either, but then, I'm a chick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know this is an old post but I hadn't seen it. I can vouch for Kooz on this. There is a championship beer pong table that I think the TKE folks have with his name on it I believe. I've also pong'd with Sir Kooz and can attest to his "legit-ness"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks man! Everyone needs a skill, I guess...

    ReplyDelete