Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Top 5: Tipping and Gratuities

We bring you today's top 5 at the request of an old friend, Bobby Stefanik.  He wanted to see a top 5 about tipping in some capacity.  In response, here's 5 random things about tipping.


5: Etymology.  Legend has it that "tip" stands for "to insure promptitude" and dates back to days when the phrase was included on boxes at restaurants that patrons would put a few coins in before meals in order to ensure good, fast service.  Totally plausible!  Completely incorrect.

4: Tipping the IRS.  You can't tip a government employee.  That's called a bribe.

3: Tipping.  Tipping sucks because you feel obligated to tip, even if service wasn't great, which means you're rewarding someone for crappy service.  Worse, baristas coffee shop cashiers all have tip cups and expect the change from your very overpriced coffee in exchange for a service that the folks at your local supermarket or Wal-Mart do faster with no expectation of gratuity.

2: Working for Tips.  Working for tips sucks even more because many people don't know that you only earn $2.13/hour (seriously) precisely because the government and your boss assume you'll receive tips.  The people who don't know (or don't care) about the salary tend to be bad tippers (when they tip at all), leaving you earning below minimum wage.  And dine-and-dashers?  Yeah, that comes out of your barely existent salary.

1: Tip story.  Someone who shall remain nameless (unless he confesses in the comments below) accompanied Kooz to "penny drink night" at a local dive bar in college.  He walked up with a $5 bill and said he wanted to start a tab.  (People usually gave $1 per drink even though the drinks cost 1 penny.)  The best part: after drinking his fill (maybe 8 or 10 drinks) and Kooz doing the same on his dime--err, penny--he asked for his change!  We were almost thrown out!

So remember, tip your waiter.  Or don't.  And don't get me started on whether or not (and if so, how much) to tip the plumber, door man, cabbie, or furniture delivery folks.  This tipping thing is out of control!  Anyway, share your thoughts on tipping below, and remember, if you'd like to see us cover anything, "like" our Facebook page and write on our wall!

11 comments:

  1. i bartend....def tip bartenders! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the standard rate--$1/drink, right?  What is someone buys a round of shots--they aren't tipping $12 for 12 shots--what is a fair amount?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a dollar a drink is acceptable. for a round of shots just throw down a fin for anything over 5 shots that's more than enough. there's my once a month contribution

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to add that, due to taxes, waiters/waitresses get weekly checks for $0.00 dollars. They also almost always do not get health insurance through their employers. When I bartended, what was normal was $1 for one or two drinks, $2 for 3 to 5 drinks, etc. Also depends how labor-intensive the drinks are. Making 6 cosmos is different than removing caps from 6 bottles of beer.

    ReplyDelete
  5.  TherealKoz covered that. Throwing down a fin = $5

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christie CartolanoJune 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

    I was a waitress and bartender for a few years and know what it's like to earn those tips.  Granted, I was possibly the worst waitress ever, but what I lacked in service I made up for with my sparkling personality!  (but i really had to work it to get those tips) To this day, I still over tip unless the service just pisses me off.  Then I will leave change or $1 just to make a point.  (and most likely never go back to that place)  The service industry is super hard work and some of the lowest paying jobs out there. Tip your servers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good points all around!  I always felt like leaving 5 bucks in tips for ordering 5 Miller Lites seemed wrong, but leaving 1 dollar for some $11 frozen cocktail also seemed out of whack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always overtip, even when the person should get no tip.  I figure maybe they're having a shitty day or something.  I feel bad...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even if I've had some really poor service, I won't ever tip below 15% percent (my standard is 20), if I ever think I'll be coming back to that place.  

    This is only because I've worked at restaurants and seen some really bad things happen after you piss off a waiter.  Basically, I just prefer my food and drink to be body fluid free.  

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why I will never send my food back even if it is raw or there has a big fat hair or bug in it. The devil on my plate is better than the devil...in my secre sauce. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete