Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Top 5 Foods Introduced in the 1960's

I am always shocked to learn that foods that I grew up with are relatively recent developments. Keep reading to see what I mean, and remember--there are people walking around who remember a world without the following foodstuffs.

5: Pop Tarts - Okay, so they taste like two pieces of cardboard with week-old jam stuffed in between, but if you grew up in the 80's (or 70's, I presume, and 60's, I guess--but not any earlier, as these were developed in 1964), you ate these breakfast treats like they were going out of style. They also made great trade-bait in the schoolyard.

4: Life Cereal - Maybe I'm crazy, but I think Life cereal is really good. If it were a bit less bad for me, I'd eat it all the time. And while I choose to stick with Cheerios, at least I have a choice--before 1961, Life cereal didn't exist.

3: Hot Wings - Created in Buffalo in 1964 as a way to market otherwise inedible bits of chicken, hot wings have become a staple in bars nationwide. It is unknown whether either sports bars or football existed before the development of the hot wing.

2: Chicken Sandwich - First put together in 1964. Seriously? The chicken sandwich? Nobody put chicken on a roll before then? Well, according to foodtimeline.org, maybe someone did, but the (very homophobic) Chick-Fil-A is credited with bringing it to the nation. Thanks Chick-Fil-A, and too bad you are so bizarrely concerned with what people choose to do with their own lives.

1: High Fructose Corn Syrup - Yeah, that "other" sweetener was developed in 1967 and brought joy and cavities to millions of children as sugar prices rose and soda makers started using this instead.

Crazy, right? A world without the chicken sandwich! Do you have any thoughts about this? Do you remember these things not existing? Share your thoughts below, and don't forget to follow us on Facebook by liking our page!

4 comments:

  1. "Why the f@ck would I want to blow up the Chick-fil-A? It's f@cking delicious!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did Bewitched come out? Because I'm pretty sure the guy in the Life picture is from the Bewitched opening. Co e to think of it, I think he was in advertising...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick York or Dick Sargent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also introduced in the 1960's. So I don't care for your digs on the most delicious Pop Tart, sir. Though you seem to be targeting the fruit flavors more than the others. To me, there is no Pop Tart but the frosted brown sugar and cinnamon Pop Tart.

    ReplyDelete