Friday, August 17, 2012

Top 5 Annoyances While Waiting to See the Doctor

I had an appointment with my doctor this morning, so I arrived 15 minutes early set to be poked and prodded, as doctors are wont to do.  I was not, but should have been, prepared for the following things.


5: There was no parking.  What is it with doctor's offices never having enough parking?  People with bum knees and bad backs are forced to walk from parking lots of neighboring businesses in order to see their knee or back doctor--it's crazycakes!

4: I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork.  Again.  Asking the same questions I answered last time I was here, six months ago.  I am pretty sure this is a stall tactic at this point--something to take my mind off the fact that the doctor won't quite see me yet.

3: Thankfully I have my phone, otherwise the only thing to do after filling out my paperwork would be to read a couple of local area magazines or an issue of Sports Illustrated looking forward to the 2011 Superbowl.  And the lack of something to do mattered, because...

2: I arrived on time for my 9:30 appointment only to wait 45 minutes to be seen.  How many people could have been scheduled and gone before me to throw things so far off schedule so early in the day?  But the worst thing was...

1: The woman next to me was silently reading one of the old magazines the doctor has lying around, only this woman was reading it out loud in a whisper, interposing moans between the sentences, pausing only to lick her fingers as though finishing a plate of juicy Texas-style slow-cooked barbecue ribs in order to get traction to turn the pages.  To be clear, she's sick, and she's touching the communal reading materials with her spit soaked paws.  Nice.

I know you've been in my shoes.  What things annoyed you about the doctor's office?  Share below, and don't forget to join our Facebook community by liking our Facebook page!

12 comments:

  1. totally forgot to mention the waiting room tv that has nothing great on, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call--this waiting room didn't even have a tv, but the ones that do are usually playing soap operas from the mid-eighties, in my experience at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha and gross! You should have caught up on some Highlights For Children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This. What is it dr offices and "highlights"

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who spent most of Jan. and Feb. in Dr's offices, I am in love with this top 5. (and quite jealous i didn't do it myself!) I wish I had clocked how many hours were spent in the waiting room--would love to send THEM a bill for all the time I wasted waiting! I would've done liked it if they had Highlights myself. However I do have a habit...when they do have good magazines, I steal them. I admit it. They go right in my purse. Got some great recipes from Food and Wine that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was my morning. showed up at 9:45 for a 10:00 appointment...doc didn't even show up til 10:45 and then I got skipped for some other lady who "had issues with childcare" argh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAH. Been through that - especially the waiting when you're on time. What gives? Love your blog!!!! I am a list junkie and plan to spend many hours reading and commenting on yours. Amazingness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of a lot of people ripping out coupons and articles from doctor's office mags.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Lorikate! I'm glad you enjoy it! We love comments and feedback, and hope to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lateness for morning appointments are inexcusable. If they're already off by 45 minutes at 9:30am, then they are consciously scheduling things before they intend to even arrive. Ob-scene. And unbelievably widespread.


    Even worse than soap operas or Fox News at a lot of medical offices are loops of infomercials for medical procedures or drugs conveniently available in the office you're sitting in. Thanks, doc, what time does the waterboarding start?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Completely agree on the first point--just irresponsible and reprehensible.

    ReplyDelete