Thursday, August 2, 2012

Top 5 Issues I Have With the Alphabet

Stop, collaborate and listen, Sooz is back with a brand new top 5.  I was going through the alphabet the other day (really, I'm raising a kid), and it occurred to me that there are some letters that I have problems with.  Here are the top 5 issues I have with letters:


5. J - Is J too lazy to appear in all of the words that need it?  Why does it keep making G pick up its slack?

4. - Speaking of lazy, who named this letter?

3. PH - Makes an F sound,which doesn't make any f'ing sense.

2. - Can make a K sound or an S sound, so why not just use a K or an S?  Let's cut the alphabet down to a nice trim 25 letter set.

1. Silent Letters - What is the point?  Did word inventors get paid by the letter?  The word "whip" doesn't need an H, thank you very much.

Any letters drive you mad?  Maybe we'd be better off with universal Esperanto.  We love feedback, so share whatever thoughts you have in the comments below, and don't forget to like our Facebook page!

9 comments:

  1. you think thats bad try the spanish alphabet - they have letters that are really 2 or more letters joined together that just make funny sounds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your take on 'ph' and 'w' I never understood why it wasn't called a 'double V' since thatis clearly what it is. However, I take issue with #2 because if we got rid of the letter 'C' my initials would cease to exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your take on 'ph' and 'w' I never understood why it wasn't called a 'double V' since thatis clearly what it is. However, I take issue with #2 because if we got rid of the letter 'C' my initials would cease to exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you'ld just be kk instead of cc...it would have been ok...you never would have known the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sad for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I consider saying we should swap out the C for the CH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brings to mind "GHOTI":


    "The word ghoti is a bit of quasi-linguistic silliness perpetrated by George Bernard Shaw, who was a firm believer in reform of the English orthographic system. His example of how flawed English spelling is was "ghoti", which he claimed was an alternate spelling of "fish": "gh" as in "laugh", "o" as in "women", and "ti" as in "nation"."

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds familiar. Maybe I learned it in high school. Obviously George Bernard Shaw was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete