Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Top 5 Coolest Events I've Been To

Okay, so without counting my wedding and things like that, these are the coolest events I've been to.

5: 1996 World Series - I grew up as a Yankees fan, and my formative years were the 1980's.  I had no memory of the Yankees as a winning franchise.  That's why in 1996, when the Yankees went to the World Series for the first time in 15 years, I paid a fortune for a bleacher seat ticket and joined a friend to go to the game.  I remember rationalizing, "This may be the only time in my life I get a chance to see the Yankees in the World Series."  Of course, the Yankees have since become a perpetual playoff team, appearing in the World Series every few years.  It was still amazing.

4: Miguel Cotto vs. Zab Judah - I saw this fight in a Madison Square Garden luxury box with a buddy and my wife.  It was a fun fight, a really great time, and by far the best boxing even I've been to.  I remember getting in the elevator after the bout and someone calling it the Zab Judah elevator--it's "going down."

3: Ten Ugly Men Festival - I've been to shows and festivals, but this one--out of Rochester, NY--was great.  Not because of the band (Gin Blossoms, which was moderately okay), but because it was the last time I remember a particular group of my friends getting together and having a fun, carefree weekend pre-kids.

"Ya see, there'd be this mat, and it would have different *conclusions* on it that you could jump to!"
2: Tony Awards After Party - I got a chance to attend a Tony Awards party with some celebs, which was fine, but the coolest party was meeting Richard Riehle!  Who, you ask?  He's the guy who invented the "Jump to Conclusions Mat" in Office Space!  He's mostly as a bit part actor, and he seemed so thrilled that someone was ignoring these other celebs and chatting him up.  I asked to take a picture with him--which is a no-no at these events--but he gladly obliged.  Cool guy...

1: The Indianapolis 500 - I've gone several years--the best is driving out there (14 hours) with a buddy and upon arriving, being greeted with a beer and food at my friend's "rally in the alley" event, and finally hitting the race itself with its non-stop Coors Light and KFC tailgate at my group's chicken wagon.  I can even recall seeing a few laps of the race!

What are the coolest events you've attended?  Have you guys ever been to any of these?  We love to hear from you, so let us know in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. I was at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards, and was a mere few rows away from Prince's infamous assless pants performance of "Get Off." I caught and still have one of the tambourines with his symbol on it that were thrown to the crowd. I wonder if it's worth anything?


    That night was also the first public appearance for Pee Wee Herman after his scandal and he asked the audience, "Heard any good jokes lately?" Good times.
    http://www.wat.tv/video/prince-gett-off-mtv-video-4y3mf_2hztv_.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, especially the assless pants...

    ReplyDelete