Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Top 5 Golf Movies

Shot 18 with my dad and a couple of brothers last week, and quoted at least two of these movies.  It got me thinking about the best films about golf.   After dwelling on it for about a week, I've come up with the following:

5: Three Little Beers (1935) - Considered to be one of the best shorts by the Three Stooges, Three Little Beers centers on the Stooges as beer factory workers who, upon learning of their beer company's golf outing, take up the game uninvited, with the usual Stooges hijinx and slapstick.

4: Tin Cup (1996) - Kevin Costner in a role that didn't involve foreign accents or a ton of acting chops, so he did well.  Costner is a washed up golfer trying to qualify for the U.S. Open and a chance for big bucks.  A solidly entertaining movie.

3: Dead Solid Perfect (1988) - About the life of a second rate golfer on the pro tour.  Most notable for me as the first movie I ever saw with full frontal nudity.  I was 12, there was no real internet, and Corinne Bohrer was fresh off her role as Bobcat Goldthwait's love interest (I know, I can't believe I typed that either) in Police Academy 4.  Nice.

2: Happy Gilmore (1996) - Adam Sandler at his absolute best as a former hockey player turned golf pro.  Best scene by far is Sandler and Bob Barker getting into a fist fight at a celebrity pro-am.  Just a hilarious movie.

1: Caddyshack (1980) - Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and Ted Knight, directed and co-written by Harold Ramis. Hilarious from beginning to end, this is the gold standard for golf comedies.  Never before was being a caddy so much fun (trust me, I was one).

One of the funniest golf sequences, but not from a movie so not on the list, was from The Honeymooners episode where Ralph and Norton learn to golf. I can still hear Ed Norton learning he needs to "address the ball," and saying "Hellooooo ball!"  What are your favorite golf movies or quotes?   Share in the comments below, and don't forget to show us some love by liking the Facebook page!

4 comments:

  1. I know it's sad, but I'm pretty sure the only one I've seen is Happy Gilmore. I really need to see Caddyshack, especially given that I've already seen full frontal nudity in a movie once or twice. For those who haven't, which do you suggest they watch first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caddyshack, unless you're twelve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Top 5 might be interested to know that Corinne Bohrer has begun to show up in a fair share of commercials these days. You should consider avoiding the fast forward button if you spot one for paper towels. Could give you a nice flashback to 1988.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing her in a commercial as a mom. This was, maybe, 15 years ago. Killed it for me. Of course, now I'm married to a mom, so I might change my tune.

    ReplyDelete