Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top 5 Pumpkin Ales (2012)

I discovered something I hadn't previously known--I love pumpkin ales.  This is odd--I don't like spiced beers, I don't care for pumpkin pie, and I only like fruit beers (strawberry or cherry) in the summer on a hot day as a refreshing twist.  But I have given myself so completely over to pumpkin ales, and I try them every chance I get.  I've been lucky to have some really good ones this year (they're perfect for getting into the Halloween spirit).  Here's my top 5 for 2012.

5: New Holland Ichabod Ale (New Holland Brewing Company, 5.5 abv) - It has a very cool label, but there's too much cinnamon and too little pumpkin.  This beer has potential to move up the list next year if it can just balance those flavors.

4: Hipp-O-Lantern (River Horse Brewing Co., 8.1 abv) - The spices come out more in this beer than any other on the list, so it's a little unbalanced, but it's still pretty good.  The pumpkin flavor is strong and nice, but the high alcohol content gives it a boozy quality that never quite matures, and the mouthfeel leaves something to be desired.  Overall, it's not a bad beer taste-wise;.

3: Imperial Pumking (Southern Tier Brewing Co., 9.0 abv) - This is a really nice pumpkin ale.  The high alcohol content is pretty prevalent at first, but dissolves into a pleasant warmth as you drink it.  It's certainly a sipping beer and is perfect for after a meal.

2: Punkin Ale (Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, 7.0 abv) - Cinnamon and pumpkin in the nose (though not overpowering); nutmeg and cloves in the taste.  This is really good, as anyone familiar with Dogfish Head has come to expect.

1: Pumpkin Pie (Chelsea Brewing Company, unknown abv) - Maybe it was because they rimmed the pint glass with cinnamon and sugar, or maybe it's because the beer is simply exceptional (I had some in a separate glass without the cinnamon and sugar first to give it a fair review), but this beer tops the list.  It's full-bodied and creamy, with a smooth finish and the subtle taste of cinnamon and pumpkin/squash.  Yes, I know how that sounds, but just trust me--it's worth it.

Use the comments section to tell us about your favorite pumpkin ales, and check out our top 5 Oktoberfest brews as well.  And of course, visit us on Facebook and like our page!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks you are so sweet! Don’t you love eating healthy? When I eat healthy, I feel so much better, and it
    makes such a difference in my mood! I have tons of healthy recipes and treats coming up to keep healthy eating
    fun and exciting!
    As for the shirt, I actually hand cut a stencil for the writing and then carrot and spray painted it onto a
    guys shirt from Target! A few people have been asking me about buying shirts, so I think I am going to screen
    print some in a couple of weeks! I’m so glad everyone is liking them. I will definitely let you know when I make
    my first batch! xosexy tops

    ReplyDelete