Thursday, December 13, 2012

Top 5 Best Classic Christmas Songs

This is an impossible list.  There are over a dozen Christmas songs that could lay legitimate claim to the number 1 spot.  But this ain't the Kooz Top 12, so here's our five favorites.  Please add your faves in the comments!

5: Jingle Bells (Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters) - A lot of people like the Gene Autry version, but I defer to Bing , this time teaming up with the Andrews Sisters to bring a slight twist to the classic without changing the spirit of the song.  This is one of the most fun songs for the holiday season, and there's a reason why it's one of the first little kids learn to sing--it's a song about sledding!

4: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas (Perry Como) - This paints the perfect picture of Christmas for me--the toys, the family, the maniacal laughter...

3: I'll Be Home For Christmas (Bing Crosby) - Bing sings about all the things he's looking forward to while home for Christmas, only to reveal that he'll only be home in his dreams.  There is a sadness here that most Christmas music lacks, yet there's a sweetness underlying the sadness.  This reminds me of all my beloved family and friends with whom I'll never share another Christmas.  It's bittersweet.

2: White Christmas (Bing Crosby) - Bing isn't in the number 1 spot, but there's nobody better than Bing for Christmas music.  Nobody.  Take that, Elvis.  Bing's gentle deep voice lends this song an ethereal quality and takes me back to a time (which I'm fairly certain never happened) when, as a child, this song came on the 8-Track player as snow was falling gently outside on a nice Christmas Eve while I was cozying up to my mom's hot chocolate.  What a nice memory.  Apocryphal, sure; but still nice.

1: The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) (Nat King Cole) - Nat King Cole's smooth, smooth voice melts into this perfect Christmas song.  Personally, chestnuts were always a special treat for me when my mom and dad took me to NYC around Christmas when I was a kid, and this year I had the pleasure of taking my (2 year old) son and his friend--his reaction to the chestnut: "Eh, it's okay."  Whatever, Nat King Cole still rules.

So Bing is way over-represented.  I know.  I kept trying to squeeze Ella Fitzgerald, Perry Como, Gene Autry, and Frank Sinatra in there, but I couldn't in good conscience choose any of their (admittedly amazing) records over any of the 5 above.  So add some of your favorites in the comments below, and like our Facebook page when you get a chance.

6 comments:

  1. Personally, I'd have put Little Drummer Boy by the Smoking Popes on there, but then, I LOVE the Smoking Popes, and that particular version...I just have to move to it because its soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, but there are soooo many good ones to choose from. Everyone is going to have different choices...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. Its always a matter of opinion, music. But its always good to have a list of the 'timeless classics' as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, honestly, I see this list as a starting point, if anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see Johnny Mathis' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" slipping in there easily over "Jingle Bells." "Jingle Bells" as a song may merit some consideration, but - in my humble opinion - there really isn't an iconic, definitive recorded version... So it's out.

    Next year, the Kooz Top 5 has to do the best modern (let's say post-1969) or best rock/pop Christmas songs. Start whittling your list now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been working on one for the last two Christmas seasons. It's really tough!

    ReplyDelete