Monday, January 7, 2013

Top 5 Stupid Phrases That Make Me Angry

There are so many stupid phrases that exist solely to drive me crazy (or so I am convinced).  Here are some that make me want to drive off the road.

5: "To be honest with you..." - Because usually, you're lying?

4: "For lack of a better term..." - One thing I've learned after a decade in the corporate world--there's always a better term.  This one is usually used by people who are, for lack of a better term, full of shit and making it up as they go along.

3: "I'm speechless..." - If you say anything after this, you're wrong.

2: "The following guest." - I get this one all the time from the pharmacy on the corner.  There's a line of people waiting, and when a cashier finishes and calls up the next person in line to check out, the cashier says this.  It makes no sense.  They mean, "May I help the next guest."  If they want to keep saying what they're saying, they need to get more polite and learn our names: "Will the following guest please come up: Kooz."

1: "It goes without saying..." - Nothing should ever follow this.  If it goes without saying, don't say it.  Same applies when confirming something someone says ("And you, of course, like the crusts cut of your PB&J." "Well, yeah, it goes without saying...").  You're just too late.

So to be honest with you, dear readers, it goes without saying that I'm speechless by the--for lack of a better term--stupiditude of phrases like, "the following guest."  Hopefully, you aren't one of the violators!  What phrases do you find most annoying in your little world?  Tell us in the comments.  And if you like what you read, why not share us with a friend and like us on Facebook?

12 comments:

  1. First Annual, rather than Inaugural, for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairly presumptuous of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To make a long story short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, so true! Why aren't you writing Top 5's anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I will! I'll add it to my new years resolutions

    ReplyDelete
  6. My step-daughter has started using the phrase, "Here's a Hint" before just about EVERYTHING she says. Its getting highly annoying.... Hopefully I can help her stop it before she starts annoying others with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its getting there. I know I try to stop myself when I start using phrases that get repetitive.... Its easy to do....

    ReplyDelete
  8. "not for nothing", "i could care less" (meaning they could care less, so um, what is their point?), and some others, but I can't think of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both really good ones. I am guilty of using the former. I hate the the latter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No offense, but (here's something offensive).

    ReplyDelete